The resource as such can be used for the teaching of specialized vocabulary, but is not associated with any elements of grammar/structure, which limits the possible uses of this resource. It can only be used by students with already well developed specialized vocabulary and at least basic knowledge of grammar, so the level of B1 indicated in the file may be too optimistic. It would require rather intensive preparatory activities for the lecturer and the students cannot use it independently. An upside is the digital format, which allows various levels of interaction of the student with the material, as well as the presence of the visuals, which create better associations between the concepts and the specialized vocabulary and support retention of the Romanian form. Some form of audio support would increase the value of the resource.
Reading comprehension, specialized vocabulary, level B1
1. The trainer introduces the title – The Heart – and elicits a basic definition of this organ in the human body and other terms related to the topic such as the aortic artery, ventricle, systole, diastole, etc.
2. Based on elicited vocabulary, the trainer introduces the terms related to the anatomy of the heart;
3. The trainer offers students a blank map of the anatomy of the heart, on which they try to locate each constituent then they check their results against the interactive map, standard, extracted from the platform used.
4. Presentation of paragraphs showing the set of terms related to inimă (heart), as well as various collocations /idiomatic expressions that contain the term inimă (heart).
The results obtained
- improving acquisition of specialized vocabulary in authentic contexts
The risks to be taken into account when using the resource
- users need certain instructions to use the interface at an acceptable speed
Capacity to match the needs of lecturers and students
The provided tangible improvements
The capacity to motivate students to improve their language skills
Effectiveness in introducing innovative, creative and previously unknown approaches to LSP learning
Measurement of the transferable potential and possibility to be a source of further capitalisation/application for other language projects in different countries
Skills assessment and validation
Availability of appropriate tools for lecturers to monitor students’ progress and for students to assess own progress and to reflect on learning
Flexibility of the contents and possibilities for the LSP lecturers to adapt the contents to their and to students’ need
Assess the technical usability from the point of view of the lecturer and the student
Assess the accessibility from the point of view of the lecturer and the student
The platform provides an interactive source of medical language discovery. It can be used either as a main source or as a complementary source in teaching medical language. The corpus of images and explanations can be used by future physicians to fixate their knowledge of anatomy, physiology and pathology, but also by the teacher to teach medical language. Technically, it is an easy to use platform, free in the demo version, with payment, in the complex version. Teachers can extract corpora from here to create different exercises, to check specialized vocabulary.
Website of the Teaching Source: