The resource is part of a pod called Romanian 101pod presents a set of on the various topics, one of which is Energy Production: Common Terms. The pod contains a set of related terms putere, amplificator, baterie turbină etc. (and related information e.g. gender, English equivalent, pronunciation accessible by clicking on the speaker icon), phrases (complex terms energie nucleară, panou solar, rețea electrică) and (few) sentences (Nu e nicio baterie în lanternă./ There is no battery in the flashlight., Preţul benzinei este în creştere. /The price of gasoline is rising.). In some cases of sentences more examples are provided. It fosters autonomous learning, as each item can be replayed if necessary to acquire correct pronunciation). Lack of context for mot items is a problem, but this can be balanced by use of other references (e.g corpora). It can be used by students in technology and sustainability to expand topic related vocabulary.
The resource can be used as a pre-reading activity in which most (or all?) terms and phrases are found in a text on the topic, in order to introduce the new vocabulary.
Alternatively, the trainer/teacher can:
- introduce the topic
- elicit already known vocabulary related to the topic
- present the site containing the new set of lexical items
- ask students to practice pronunciation (individually or in class)
- ask student to identify a context for each lexical item presented in a corpus such as CoRoLa (lexical item can be presented selectively, not all need be presented in the same lesson)
- check contexts by asking students to read out loud their finds
- ask students to identify 3 contexts in a corpus such as CoRoLa where the lexical items are present, delete them and present the gapped version to colleagues to suggest the missing word/phrase;
- alternatively, the trainer can do this type of activity for students’ assessment
Capacity to match the needs of lecturers and students
The provided tangible improvements
The capacity to motivate students to improve their language skills
Effectiveness in introducing innovative, creative and previously unknown approaches to LSP learning
Measurement of the transferable potential and possibility to be a source of further capitalisation/application for other language projects in different countries
Skills assessment and validation
Availability of appropriate tools for lecturers to monitor students’ progress and for students to assess own progress and to reflect on learning
Flexibility of the contents and possibilities for the LSP lecturers to adapt the contents to their and to students’ need
Assess the technical usability from the point of view of the lecturer and the student
Assess the accessibility from the point of view of the lecturer and the student
The resource can be used to introduce new topical vocabulary related to Energy and to less advanced learners (A2-B1) providing pronunciation, which is of lesser interest since this can be accessed in most references available on the Internet; its interest lies in the compilation of topical vocabulary and partial contextualization of this set, so it is not particularly innovative, however, the possibility of immediate checkup and correction may be an element to enhance motivation. It is hardly transferable, since it refers strictly to the English -Romanian pair, however, it is versatile and can be used for various types of activities.
Website of the Teaching Source: