Reading comprehension, specialised vocabulary, level B1-B2.
1. Teacher announces the topic – Good manners in business.
2. Activating the schemata. Teacher asks all students to write down 5 business rules which, in their view, are the most important in their country. Students present their notes in front of the group. Teacher indicates the similarities and the differences between the presented rules. Teacher asks: What do you think is the code of good manners in romania? Do you think it is similar to or different from your country?
3. Students read the article. Teacher asks students to make up a glossary with 10 terms and phrses from the business sphere, using the vocabulary from the article. Possible lexical units: meeting, investment, to maintain communication, authentic interest, to transmit signals, a working alternative, dress code, an impreccable image, real professionist, agenda of a meeting etc.
4. Teacher asks students to rewrite the rules formulated at the beginning of the lesson using at least 5 expressions from the business sphere used in the article they have read.
5. Teacher asks the following questions: Do you agree with the rules presented in the aritcle? If not, how do you think they should be changed? As you see it, what will happen if these rules are not followed?
- the use of the specialized vocabulary from the target field
- the development of the skill of reading a specialized text and extracting the relevant information
- the accumulation of knowledge in reference to the code of good manners in business.
Risks that have to be taken into account:
- students should be guided by the teacher for an efficient and useful discussion;
- students could face difficulties in understanding some elements of the code because of cultural difference; teacher should offer the necessary explanations.