The material presents a short film (5:46) about the life and creations of Constantin Brâncuși. The video starts with the first steps of the sculptor in the professional field. In the following minutes the film analyses the features typical of his works of art, mentioning his most famous sculptures –„Muza adormită”, „Începutul lumii”, „Domnișoara Pogany”, „Pasărea”, as well as as the project „Fântâna lui Haret”. At the end of the film there are details about the famous sculptures from Târgu Jiu that are parts of the complex called „Calea eroilor”: „Masa tăcerii”, „Poarta sărutului” and „Coloana fără sfârșit”. The video is followed by a text which mostly (even though not perfectly) corresponds to the contents of the film.
Listening, specialised vocabulary, level B1-B2.
1. Teacher announces the topic – Artistic works by Constantin Brâncuși.
2. Activating the schemata. Teacher shows students pictures with the works of art by Constantin Brâncuși and asks the following questions: In what century do you think they were created? How would you describe their style? What distinctive features can you see in these sculptures?
3. Teacher asks each student to write down 5 key words that, in his view, describe the sculptures from the pictures.
4. Teacher asks students to watch a short film about Constantin Brâncuși. Teacher asks students to write down key words from the film that describe Constantin Brâncuși’s works and artistic style. If the text is too dificult for listening practice, teacher suggests that students use the written version of the film to check for the correct understanding of the information presented in the video.
5. After watching the video, teacher asks students to compare, in pairs, the list of key words which they compiled before and after watching the video.
6. Teacher starts a free discussion, asking the following questions: Can we compare Constantin Brâncuși’s creations with those of another sculptor / painter or artist in general? Is there a sculptor or painter in your country whose style resembles Brâncuși? Do you think that the simplicity of form can express the profoundness of content?
- the use of specialised vocabulary from the target field
- the development of the skill of listening to a specialised text and extracting the relevant information
- the accumulation of knowledge in the field of art.
Risks that have to be taken into account:
- students may face difficulties in understanding a long specialised text; in this case, teacher suggests that they use the written version of the video.
Capacity to match the needs of lecturers and students
The provided tangible improvements
The capacity to motivate students to improve their language skills
Effectiveness in introducing innovative, creative and previously unknown approaches to LSP learning
Measurement of the transferable potential and possibility to be a source of further capitalisation/application for other language projects in different countries
Skills assessment and validation
Availability of appropriate tools for lecturers to monitor students’ progress and for students to assess own progress and to reflect on learning
Flexibility of the contents and possibilities for the LSP lecturers to adapt the contents to their and to students’ need
Assess the technical usability from the point of view of the lecturer and the student
Assess the accessibility from the point of view of the lecturer and the student
The material presents a short film (5:46) about the life and creations of Constantin Brâncuși and a short audio material which summarizes some of the information in the text. The video is followed by a text which mostly (even though not perfectly) corresponds to the contents of the film. Taking into consideration the fact that, apart from the personal life of the sculptor, the film offers details on the distinctive features of Brâncuși’s creations, this material can be used during the lessons of Romanian as a foreign language for the field of arts, level B1-B2. The fact that the resource combines the three media (written, audio and video), that it provides examples of the great sculptor’s creation it endures high adaptability and usability (various types of tasks can be created around the resource) and it enhances students’ motivation.
Website of the Teaching Source: