The National Corpus of Polish (Narodowy Korpus Języka Polskiego) is a initiative of Institute of Computer Science (from Polish Academy of Science) in collaboration with Institute of Polish Language, Polskie Wydawnictwo Naukowe (PWN) and the Department of Computational and Corpus Linguistics (University of Łódż).
The corpora contain classic literature, newspapers, specialist periodicals, transcripts of conversations, internet texts.
The University of Reading has used the NKJP PELCRA search engine for anthropological research. The University of Utrecht has obtained a license to use the NKJP's spoken language corpus to research speech modelling. The University of Barcelona used a corpus of five hundred thousand words for research.
1. Announce the title: Problemy ze wzrokiem. U okulisty/ Sight problems. At the ophthalmologist
2. Present 3 excerpts (adapted, if necessary) extracted from Narodowy korpus języka polskiego, where the term okulista (ophthalmologist) appears. List the terms, search collocations. Make sure the students know the inflected forms of the term:
3. Give the students related terms:
- wzrok / badanie wzroku / wady wzroku / kłopoty z wzrokiem
- upośledzenie widzenia
- gałka oczna
4. Create tests (fill-in, multiple choice, reading comprehension) with all this terms.
5. Use the vocabulary for a group conversation – Dbaj o wzrok! Bo twoje oczy są najważniejsze
The results achieved
– enhance specialized vocabulary in authentic contexts
the risks to be taken into account while using the resource
– users need some amount of instruction in order to use the interface at acceptable speed
– some examples may belong to (sub)domains not known to students or to general language
Capacity to match the needs of lecturers and students
The provided tangible improvements
The capacity to motivate students to improve their language skills
Effectiveness in introducing innovative, creative and previously unknown approaches to LSP learning
Measurement of the transferable potential and possibility to be a source of further capitalisation/application for other language projects in different countries
Skills assessment and validation
Availability of appropriate tools for lecturers to monitor students’ progress and for students to assess own progress and to reflect on learning
Flexibility of the contents and possibilities for the LSP lecturers to adapt the contents to their and to students’ need
Assess the technical usability from the point of view of the lecturer and the student
Assess the accessibility from the point of view of the lecturer and the student
The corpora contain volumes of Polish classics, publications, recordings. Advanced search tools allow parsing, collocation search, etc. The collocation extraction module allows the analysis of the phraseological structures of the frequency of the terms. The corpus provides examples of real use of the language by the speakers’ community and can be used (in class or autonomously) to enhance the students’ awareness of the native use of language. The corpora can be used by students in Economics, Law, Art, Business, Journalism, Tourism, to check their use of various specialized terms in context. Advanced search tools (http://www.nkjp.uni.lodz.pl/help.jsp#wyszukiwanie_kolokacji)
are relatively easy to use.
Lecturers can use examples extracted from the corpus to check vocabulary by creating various types of exercises (e.g. fill-in exercises) and tests (fill-in, multiple choice, reading comprehension).
Website of the Teaching Source: