Duration of the video: 14 min 23.
Understanding specialized vocabulary, level B2 - C1
1. Warm-up activity: Brainstorming. Elicit information about the European Union: What is the EU? What countries are in the EU? Is your country of origin a EU member state?
The trainer introduces a set of specialized terms related to (EU) political life, such as: migrație/migration, relații inernaționale/international relationship, globalizare/globalization etc.
2. the students watch the video
3. Post-watching activities The trainer provides topics for students’ conversation based on the information in the video:
a. Migration before and after EU accession
b. Increased life expectancy
c. Increased age of (the first) marriage
b. Import of products
e. Increased revenue
b. Increased number of foreign tourists
4. Students are invited to identify the specialized terms in the registration.
5. Further possibly unknown terms are clarified/explained.
6. Pair or group discussion on the above topics, using the specialized terms Results achieved:
- acquisition and practice of the specialized vocabulary used in authentic contexts.
Risks to be taken into account during the use of the resource:
- some terms may belong to (sub)domains unknown to students or to the general language
- the video is not associated with a transcript
Capacity to match the needs of lecturers and students
The provided tangible improvements
The capacity to motivate students to improve their language skills
Effectiveness in introducing innovative, creative and previously unknown approaches to LSP learning
Measurement of the transferable potential and possibility to be a source of further capitalisation/application for other language projects in different countries
Skills assessment and validation
Availability of appropriate tools for lecturers to monitor students’ progress and for students to assess own progress and to reflect on learning
Flexibility of the contents and possibilities for the LSP lecturers to adapt the contents to their and to students’ need
Assess the technical usability from the point of view of the lecturer and the student
Assess the accessibility from the point of view of the lecturer and the student
The video gives an attractive presentation by images and sketches of Romania's evolution after joining the European Union, including interesting data and a humorous approach, thus enhancing students’ motivation and interest. It also provides a sample of the use of the contemporary authentic Romanian language and can be used in class or autonomously. The video is especially useful for students in Social Science - International relations.
Website of the Teaching Source: