Reading comprehension, specialised vocabulary, level B2-C1.
1. Teacher announces the title – The Romanian Athenaeum.
2. Activating the schemata. Teacher shows students pictures with the Romanian Ateneu Concert Hall and asks them the following questions: What do you think this building is meant for? When do you think it was built? Where do you think it is located?
3. Introduction of the specialised vocabulary. Teacher hands out the glossary that has to be completed by students. The glossary will contain the following terms: neoclassical, dome, acoustics, circular form, foundation, imagistic, ionic column, fronton, medalion, mosaic, doric column, baroque, reverberation. Students have to look these words up in DEX and to write their definitions down on the handout.
4. Teacher asks students to guess the context in which the words from the glossary will be used in the text about the Romanian Athenaeum, looking at the pictures they saw at the beginning of the lecture.
5. Students read the text about the Romanian Athenaeum. Teacher asks students to find the words from the glossary in the text and to trascribe the respective contexts to the glossary.
6. Discussion. Teacher asks the following questions: Is there a similar building in your city / country? What world-famous buildings does it resemble?
7. Teacher asks students to choose a building (from their country or from abroad) which resembles the Romanian Athenaeum and to describe its architectural features.
- the use of specialised vocabulary from the target field
- the development of the skill of reading a specialised text and extracting the relevant information
- the accumulation of knowledge in the field of architecture.
Risks that have to be taken into account:
- students may face difficulties in understanding the terms typical of the target field; teacher has to provide the necessary assistance.